It had to happen. The sourcing for this semi-snarky note is unclear, but it captures the questions an electric vehicle owner would ask if they were learning about a gasoline-powered vehicle for the first time.
I’ve got an EV but am thinking about getting an ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) car and have a few questions for my friends with ICE cars.
1. I have heard that ICE cars cannot refuel at home while you sleep. How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Is this several times a year? Will there be a solution for refueling at home?
2. Which parts will I need service on and how often? The car salesperson mentioned a box with gears in it. What is this, and will I receive a warning with an indicator when I need to change gear? What about mufflers, tailpipes, filters, oil, and pollution control equipment. The sales rep said I have to change those frequently.
3. Can I accelerate and brake with one pedal as I do today with my electric car?
4. Do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill? I assume so, but need to ask to be sure.
5. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?
6. We currently pay about $2.85/100 kilometres to drive our electric car. I have heard that gas can cost up to five times as much, so I reckon we will lose some money in the beginning. We drive about 20,000 kilometres a year. Let’s hope more people start using petrol so prices go down.
7. Is it true that gas is flammable? Should I empty the tank and store the gas somewhere else while the car is in the garage?
8. Is there an automatic system to prevent gasoline from catching fire or exploding in a collision? What does this cost?
9. I’m told ICE cars are noisy. Will that upset my neighbours?
10. I understand the main ingredient in gas is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution to these problems?
Thanks in advance.